Sale Host Guide
- First off, thank you for signing up to host a sale this year!
- Start by making a pile of things you want to put up for sale.
- Some items that you pull out may need cleaning or light repair to get it to selling condition. You can do this in advance so that you don’t have as much to do closer to the day of the sale.
- While you still have time, you can also decide if you want side activities, especially if you have kids or family and friends co-hosting. Last year a few kids hosted a lemonade stand on the sidewalk. Other ideas are having live music or refreshments for your guests. The concept is to have fun on the day of the sale so let your creativity roam free and do as much or as little as you’d like.
- If you want to close the street that you live on, you can! In Portland the process to close a residential street is easy, but you may want to have more signage because guests would have to park near the closure area and walk to your house.
- 3-4 days before the sale, create a Craigslist post about your sale so that garage sale enthusiasts from all over Portland will be enticed to visit your sale.
- 3-4 days before the sale, determine your pricing method for the sale. See these pricing tips to learn about all your options and select one that best fits your goal for the sale! You may also want to think about how you want to group items and what furniture you will need to break out to display the items.
- On Thursday, July 5, from 4:30-6:30 PM, you can pick up your Sale Host Packet at the Green Lents Community Tool Library. The packet comprises of signs that you can draw directional arrows on, a stack of the printed Sale Maps/Bingo Cards that you can provide one to attendees, and the stickers for Bingo cards.
- Put up your signs on street corners using staple gun, nail and hammer, or tape if the pole is made of steel. Make sure to draw an arrow that directs people to the direction of your house.
- Post your big-ticket items (the ones that you think will bring foot traffic to your sale) on the Lents Garage Sale Facebook event page. Other sale hosts will do the same, so take good photos!
- July 6th at Noon is the deadline for revising your sale description. Email the revised description anytime before the deadline to firstname.lastname@example.org and she will update the online map.
- The day of the sale, get an early start so that you can take your time displaying your items and be ready for guests by 9:00 AM. Please keep your sidewalk (if you have one) clear for pedestrians.
- If you have a way of keeping track of how many people visit your sale, we would love to have that information after the event.
- You can post more photos on the Facebook event page. Green Lents especially wants to see photos of people and how you’re taking advantage of a day being outside in your neighborhood.
- After the sale, please remove signs that you’ve put up and clean up any mess in the sidewalk from the sale. If you have items that you didn’t sell but don’t want to keep, we have a few opportunities for donating or disposing them.
- Green Lents will send out a survey via email to get your thoughts about the event. Please help us by completing this short survey so that we can continue to make the event better with each year.
Have a good sale and have fun!